Our Pickwick, always at his post…

...inspired by Dickens' “Pickwick Papers.”

This blog is dedicated mostly to the posting of essays, stories and musings, in order for me to improve my skills as a writer.

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Feature Poet

I decided this month to dedicate a post to one of my best friends, who is an amazing poet. She finally started up a blog. Her writings can be found at http://wovenhumanity.blogspot.com/
I hope you all enjoy this poem!


Davi
by Mackenzie Evans

You were a breath of fresh air
Bursting through
The stagnant oxygen
My lungs were used to breathing in
As our eyes met
For the first time
In a long time
And my eyes
Filled with light
For the second time
In a long time
As your eyes
Kissed my soul
For the first time
Ever

And it made me feel so alive

Alive as in
Crazy
Stupid
Heart racing
Brain-blanking
Passion
Coursing through my veins
Feeling insane
This feeling of life

And you hugged me
Tightly
Squeezing every attempt
To pretend
From my lungs and
Breathing life
Right back into me
Right where it used to be
Unsteady
Unpredictable yet
Unchanging
Faithfully erasing
My every attempt at creating
A sense of contentment
Amidst the mediocrity
That I called life
Then you called bullshit
Exposing my hypocrisy
And as your lips spoke
Words that meant nothing
Began to mean something
And it wasn't to long
Before
Those somethings
Became everything
And everything
Was an addicting
Exchange of desire

And honestly
The best synonym
For desire is fire
Because
Of its all-consuming
Powerfully engulfing
Intoxicating nature
Along with the
All to real risk
Of getting burned
But
It comes with the promise
That you'll never
Feel the cold

So I inhaled the smoke
Billowing around me
Tasting ashes laced with
Wishful thinking
Knowing I had only dreamt
To feel the way I felt
When our fingertips touched
Dancing
Twisting around each other
Lightly
As if feeling for a foundation
To fall in love from

But as I exhaled the smoke
From with in me
I tasted decay laced with
Guilty feelings
Reminding me
I cant talk your hand
Because someone else
Is holding mine
And I cant give you my love
Because someone else
Has a claim on mine

And that I've lived
Every day
Holding my breath
Waiting
Simply for a moment
To take it away
And that you took it

And I cant take it back
Even if I really wanted to
And I really wanted you
And still want you
Want you to hear
What I've written here

But they're just words
Words to some
Meaning absolutely nothing
Words to others
Holding an intriguing something and
Words to me
That mean everything
They are just words
Words that hold the power
To leave me with
Nothing.

The end

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brianna. I wanted you to know that a quote you have in your sidebar is incorrectly attributed to Jane Austen:

    *"Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds. Or bends with the remover to remove. Oh no! It is an ever fixed mark that looks on tempests and is never shaken."*

    This is a quote from one of Shakespeare's sonnets. Austen quotes it in Sense & Sensibility but did not write it.

    Cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO right =) thank you so much haha

    ReplyDelete